Important Notice -Service Update

Citizens Advice Hull and East Riding will be starting to reopen limited services from Monday 3 August 2020. We will not be able to provide a full face to face service for everyone that would like  an appointment. We ask that if you can, to continue to using the adviceline and email advice service if possible.

In Hull we plan to re-open from Tuesday 4th August for triage and limited appointments. For the first week opening times will be limited to 10-3

In Bridlington we will be open on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 – 4 for appointments and limited triage.

In Beverley we be open on Tuesdays 10 -4 for appointments and limited triage. Fridays 10 – 4 for appointments only.

In Goole we will be open on Monday and Wednesdays 9 -4 for limited appointments and triage.

You can get Advice by:

Telephone on Adviceline 0800 144 88 48


For residents registered with a Hull G.P.

For Advice Webchat visit Citizens Advice website or click here

For help with Universal Credit applications please call 0800 144 8 444 (freephone) or for Webchat visit Citizens Advice website or click here

Welcome to Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding

We help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing information and advice, and by influencing policy makers.

How can we help?

Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding

For details of our new opening hours and our COVID-19 Safety Statement Please click here for more details

Here at Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding (CAB) we provide free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects. These include debt, money advice, benefits, employment, housing, relationships and family, consumer, travel, tax, health, immigration and discrimination problems. Advice that can be accessed through face to face meetings, over the phone, by letter or by email.

Our Advisers can help with benefit checks, completing complex forms and negotiating with third parties such as:

We can help by providing information and advice that enables our clients to move forward with their issue. Our approach is client centered and underpinned by a commitment to quality and confidentiality.

The services provided by Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding are free of charge. If we suggest you need advice from another agency, such as a solicitor, this may involve a cost to you but we will always inform you of this.

Please note that if you come to one of our drop in sessions, you may have to wait to be seen. This is because we operate a first come first served system, so if there are a lot of people in front of you, you may have to wait some time.

Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding offer advice and assistance on almost any subject, including:


Dealing with money issues can sometimes feel very difficult, but if you don’t take action you could end up getting yourself deeper in debt or losing your home.

But you can really improve your situation if you have the right advice and information to make informed choices. The CAB offers advice and information including help to deal with your debt problems, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape.

Welfare benefits:

Benefits can be a minefield if you are not sure what you are eligible to claim or how to go about making a claim. Many people do not claim the benefits that they are entitled to simply because they are not aware of them or how to access them.

Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding provides advice and information on benefits and tax credits, council tax support, arrears and issues with benefits. We can also assist with challenging or appealing benefit decisions, if you think the DWP or HMRC decision is wrong.


Whatever information you are looking for or advice you need, Citizens Advice Hull & East Riding will either be able to provide it for you or direct you to a service that can. Other common areas covered by this comprehensive generalist advice service include:

  • Pension Guidance Service
  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Consumer Problems
  • Support for Veterans
  • Tax and Utilities issues
  • General Legal matters
  • Discrimination and Equality issues
  • Health-related problems
  • Family issues
  • Immigration issues
  • and much more!

Citizens Advice Hull and East Riding are:

Independent – acting in the interest of clients, without influence from outside bodies.

Impartial – treating everyone with the same respect and commitment

Confidential – we will not pass on anything a client tells us – or even the fact that they have visited the CAB – without their permission.

Free – no-one has to pay for any part of the service we provide.

Citizens Advice Hull and East Riding is committed to safeguarding your privacy, while providing a high quality of service. Citizens Advice will treat your personal information as confidential and your details will not be given or sold to anyone. We will use the information collected online to help us understand more about how our site is used by visitors, and to develop and enhance our service to you.